Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Embracing the Storms

The first thing most people generally tend to do when a storm comes is become downcast or even depressed. The cold, rain, dampness, & noise add to the wallowing effect that comes with it. Just take a look at how a child looks at a rainy day-they are bored, whiny, discontent, and sometimes just plain old cranky. They feel restricted from running free, burning energy and steam, their creativity stifled by 4 walls....or is it???

Lately I have been asking myself-Is this how God would want us to act-to use a storm as an excuse to exhibit all of the above emotions?

Of course as we all have experienced the storms of life rage all around us and we tend to get tossed around quite a bit. We have the choice to follow the tendencies that accompany a storm or a rainy day or we can choose to rejoice and even dance in the storm!

More often than not I have to admit that I usually am quite like Eeyore from Whinnie the Pooh when the storms of life surround me. I do find this quite funny because i actually LOVE storms! To me, a rainy stormy day is refreshing-like a breather of sorts. It to me is like God's way of telling me to rest a bit or take it easy-have a day off routine! So why is it that there is such a drastic difference in my responses to both "storms"?

When God leads us through a storm it can be scary, especially if we are right in the middle of it. Imagine how the Israelite's felt as they would flee Egypt with no where to go but towards the Red Sea. What were they thinking? Would fear, worry and doubt grip many of them? Im sure!! But what did they then do.......
They stood still and let God move and boy did he! He parted the sea and made a way when there seemed to be no way.

I think the reason I love stormy days so much is that the storm is outside and I am inside, I am safe and have walls and a roof as protection around me and it doesn't seem quite so scary. What I have learned over these past 2 weeks of some fierce storms is that even in the middle of the storm I DON'T have to fear and I have the same protection as my walls and roof, I just need to trust God whole heartedly and not fear. That is tough, especially for me but its what God is trying to teach me right now.....Stand Still and let Him move! Embrace the lesson he is teaching you, don't be so quick to rush the storm away but quiet your heart and listen to it.

He will always prove faithful and make a way!



2 comments:

  1. LOVE this, my newfound sister!! I'm right there with ya :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You so much Kim!! I LOVE hearing encouraging words :)

      Delete