Friday, February 1, 2013

But how do you feed everyone???

Ahh i love that question, really i do!
The verse that comes to mind when i think about this is Luke 12:42
  And the Lord said, “Who then is the faithful and wise manager, whom his master will set over his household, to give them their portion of food at the proper time?"

Over the years I have learned some great tips and tricks along the way to streeeeetch our food budget with our growing family. I know that there are extreme couponers and while that is great, most of what I buy and feed our family there aren't coupons for- we eat mostly whole foods, fruits, and veggies. So here are my tips for getting your best bang for the buck on food:

1. Make a List and Meal Plan! I think this is the most vital lesson i have learned. I make my meal plan either over a 2 week segment or if I'm ambitious the whole month. Then knowing what meals I intend to make it makes it easier to formulate the weekly list for the store. Going to the store without a list is a disaster and an expensive one.

2. The fewer trips you make to the store the better and NEVER go shopping while you are hungry....(hint hint don't go after church....)

3. Buy in bulk when possible and shop local farmers markets. I get some great deals by buying in bulk and while BJ's and Costco may not be feasible for some things you can get a good deal on others. When in season shop local markets and produce stands. Its so much better for your family and helps out the community.

4. Utilize food shopping online! As crazy as that sounds i have really begun to like shopping from my computer. I get some great deals on Amazon and on Vitacost.com.

5. You don't need meat in every meal....really you don't! We do love our meat around here but have found that making meals with beans, lentils and vegetable/pasta combinations are quite filling and stretch nicely to feed everyone.

6. Make things from scratch. It may take some time, practice, and preparation on mama's part but it is so worth it. A lot of things can be frozen and taken out for convenience sake.

See what works for your family and start slowly or if your super thrifty with your groceries I'd love to hear some of your tips!


No comments:

Post a Comment