Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Joy in Being the Comforter


One of the joys I have in being a mother is comforting my children when they are hurt, sick, scared or just in need of a hug and a smile. There is nothing like the feeling of knowing that you are of great comfort to that child, that whatever was bothering them, hurting them, scaring them is now eased because you were there to show them love. The power of a mother's hug is huge in a child's life, the comfort of the arms wrapped around them tightly extends beyond the physical arms but show them that you truly care and your there to help take away their pain.

As I was putting this into action today after one of my little ones woke up scared from a nap and he had his head nestled deep in my shoulder, i thought to myself.....this is EXACTLY what God is for us. He WANTS to be our comforter- to listen whats to bothering us, hurting us, or scaring us. He WANTS to give us that hug and have us climb up on his lap so to speak and let our tears, fears, worries, doubts flow from our mouths to his ears. But more often than not we do not give him that privilege. We take things into our own hands and try to figure things out ourselves by finding solutions, fretting, making plans, pro/con lists......

But he is still there.
Waiting patiently until we are done and hear his gentle whispering to give it to him.
He is there.
To take our burden and sorrow and give us peace and joy in our hearts.

Our children freely and willingly run to us for comfort first, why don't we do this? It would look a bit strange for a toddler to fall on the playground and then proceed to get up and worry about how he will handle the fall wouldn't it? His first instinct is to run to mommy or daddy.Why isn't it ours?

Are you in need of a hug? Go ahead and take a deep breath and tell it all to our heavenly Father, who wants to comfort us, we just need to let him.
  •  God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1
  •  Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7
  •  O LORD my God, I called to you for help and you healed me. Psalm 30:2
  • You have made known to me the paths of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence.
    Acts 2:28
  • Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Will you let him?
Want to be encouraged further, check out the following linkups:
Raising homemakers, Walking Redeemed, Deep Roots at Home,Raising Mighty Arrows

6 comments:

  1. I love the picture you created in this post...to think of ourselves like those little children scared and needing the comfort of our Father. Love to think about being nestled deep in His shoulder.
    Thanks for sharing this. It made my day! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gail,
      Thank you so very much for this note of encouragement! I really appreciate it and thanks for taking the time to stop by! I too love that picture, it really captures my heart!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your beautiful thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Dianna for your encouragement! To God be all the glory for all i learn day to day in the wonderful job of mothering!

      Delete
  3. These are very encouraging words. Thank you for sharing them and the Bible verses. I am linking up next to you at Deep Roots at Home today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Judith, I just visited your blog as well! What an encouragement you can be to a younger generation of moms! Ill look forward to exploring your blog further!

      Delete